środa, 11 listopada 2015

Help of a Wizard - concept.

Ok so I want to create game. Good. What's now? I needed to answer first question:

Am I expecting to get money with this?

Well, it will be nice, but be honest with yourself. Do you really want to put all needed effort to finish it? Do you have marketing strategy, do you have funds for it? Do you really want to search investors?
Well... not really, since I'm bored programmer I don't want to do all those things. I want to create a game, and don't really care about making cash on it. If I earn something, great! I can buy more beer. So if you answered this question this gives you some capabilities. For example I don't need to analyse market, other competitors, do research what sells and what is expected to be in game. Great! I don't care :) So I can do game exactly what I want, without worrying that majority of players will be not interested. Then we move to next question:

What genre of game? 

What a stupid question: RPG of course! Blah... really? No, lets be realistic. I created several years ago RPG manual and we played few months with friends. Believe me this is not so easy as it looks. There is a lot of complexity, a lot of rules which need to be met, and even more playing and testing and balancing. This is something for experienced team, not a single looser. So if I strip all character development, and all fighting system... and maybe items (but I'm not quite sure about this) whats left? Hmmm... point & click? Good enough :)
So I know that I want to create some very simple game, because I know shit about usage of UDK, and I want to create something what I'm capable rather than put some impossible to met vision and burnout after few weeks. And I think point & click is great for this.
In the beginning I choose to do it as a standard top view 2D game. But after several attempts to do it in UDK I changed my mind. So I go for full 3d. And there are few reasons behind this decision:
  • UDK is crap for 2D, a lot of problems with very simple things. Like path finding. Sprites also doesn't work to well.
  • It consumes massive amount of time to search tutorials which shows you how to do something in 2D.
  • Why to use cannon like UDK to create so simple 2D game? It's pointless there is plenty of other frameworks/editors which are created purely for those games. And I didn't want to use them, because it lock my learning skill. I go for some dedicated solution rather then learning universal engine.
  • I didn't want to write code at all. I'm totally not interested in programming at evenings after full day of doing this in work. So UDK and this blueprints system was perfect solution for me.

After few more beers I created briefly concept of my game:
  • Point & click in 3d. With camera pointing main character. You can rotate & zoom in/out camera but this it.
  • Small location. Since I've nobody who will help me, then it's no pointing to do large game world. I searched for some old buildings plans. And finally chose a quite large residence (2 floors) for some Polish feudal lord.
  • Main plot should be progressing through talks with different persons in locations. That's why I decided to have ~15 NPC's. A lot, but not all need to be present all the time.
  • Since this is game for adults, there need to by naked womans! I liked idea of Achievement cards from Whicher 1 with naked ladies. I decided to make this as a main goal for my game.
  • I like fantasy worlds with magic... so main character will be a wizard. You can choose several spells which give you some more options in dialogs & actions. I based this on idea from very old game 'Vampires the masquerade".


So lets summary my concept:
You are wizard invited by some rich guy, which want to impress few guest which will came to his villa. Your role is to entertain by conversations and maybe by some magic tricks, guests and home owner. Since there are women at residence, why not to undress them? Or maybe even more... That's it. Let's the work begin.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz